Friday, March 30, 2012

Problems with System Stored Procedures Permissions

Hello,
I have a problem with Server Traces. Actually I'm running some different
audit traces on SQL2K, that I can access with SQL Profiler or using System
UDF like "fn_trace_getinfo" and "fn_trace_gettable".
The problem is that I need to access to the audit trace files with a
different user, who is not in sysadmin role. So, I want this is user to be
capable to execute that system UDF.
I grant select permissions on "fn_trace_getinfo" to the user,but when I try
to execute a simple query like
"select * from :: fn_trace_getinfo (default)", I receive a message like
this:
Server: Msg 262, Level 14, State 12, Procedure fn_trace_getinfo, Line 10
FN_TRACE_GETINFO permission denied in database 'master'.
Despite this message I have the permissions I need on master. I've been
reading out in the web and books, and all them say that a member of fix
sysadmin role can execute the UDF. But I wonder if there is a way to give
permissions to another users.
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks in advance.
Victor wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a problem with Server Traces. Actually I'm running some
> different audit traces on SQL2K, that I can access with SQL Profiler
> or using System UDF like "fn_trace_getinfo" and "fn_trace_gettable".
> The problem is that I need to access to the audit trace files with a
> different user, who is not in sysadmin role. So, I want this is user
> to be capable to execute that system UDF.
> I grant select permissions on "fn_trace_getinfo" to the user,but when
> I try to execute a simple query like
> "select * from :: fn_trace_getinfo (default)", I receive a message
> like this:
> Server: Msg 262, Level 14, State 12, Procedure fn_trace_getinfo, Line
> 10 FN_TRACE_GETINFO permission denied in database 'master'.
> Despite this message I have the permissions I need on master. I've
> been reading out in the web and books, and all them say that a member
> of fix sysadmin role can execute the UDF. But I wonder if there is a
> way to give permissions to another users.
> Can anyone help me please?
> Thanks in advance.
Running traces in SQL 2000 is limited to system administrators. SQL 2005
allows you to grant trace rights using the Alter Trace grant.
David Gugick - SQL Server MVP
Quest Software
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment